Re: [LUG] Promoting GNU/Linux through computer shop

On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 15:55, Andrew Rogers wrote:
Whilst out shopping for some milk I happened to be thinking about
promoting the LUG and GNU/Linux. As I walked back to my office I passed
the computer shop and saw an opportunity to promote GNU/Linux.

I spoke to the store staff who seemed very keen on Linux, though they
have no Linux distros on sale. I suggested that Linux could be supplied
with second-user systems that they sell for reasonable prices, saving
their customers the cost of Windows (or preventing piracy). I pointed to
a PC selling for £65 and pointed out that cost of Windows would double
the TCO. I asked if they could have a system running Linux in the shop,
they agreed.
A lot of people forget that businesses are there to make money.
Show them Benefit > Cost and they will be happy.

They acknowledged that they have had many customers enquiring about Linux.
This is a good sign.
With a small amount of information they could  point these people in the
right direction and probably benefit from repeat business.
Some sort of informal training might be useful for the shop staff e.g.
How to find out whether hardware works under Linux.

They asked if I would leave a card but at that time I didn't have one
that promoted Linux in anyway.

Now I'm a little stuck. I have found an excellent opportunity to promote
GNU/Linux, but I really need help and suggestions from fellow LUGers.
Here are some of the things I thought of:

1) Some kind of card with links to Linux sites and DCLUG.

2) Obtaining freebies, passing them on to customers.

3) PCs running Linux at the shop.

Are there any lists of shops that are Linux-friendly. Links on DCLUG
page perhaps. It would be a good way of promoting and encouraging the
shops that are helpful.

A "Linux Friendly" certificates for shops that perform well in
helpfulness tests.

Promotion of LUG events through posters displayed in shops.