Re: [LUG] Which distro???

Peter Butterfield wrote:

It's going to be less an issue of specific distro and more one of specific
packages, I suspect. Look towards lightweight window-managers (eg fluxbox
etc) rather than trying to get KDE/Gnome to run... similarly you'll need
low-resource alternatives to OO (abiword?) etc.

I agree with Matt. I tried Mandrake 9.1 with KDE on a P166 with 96MB ram and it struggled. Took over 5mins to load. These machines were designed for use with Win 3.1, 95, and 98 (just). Linux users were still mostly enjoying shells with coloured text and possibly fvwm or similar.

All the best,
Peter.

Try Puppy Love Linux, Very small can run from 50Mb cd rom, copy on march 2004 Linux format DVD, plus several other more heavy duty packeages.