Re: [LUG] Plymouth Uni Portal, Student Access & Wreaking Linux...

On 16 Mar 2004 18:47:51 +0000
John Horne <J.Horne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I was passed your mail message to the apps team (via the web team), and
am interested as to their reply. I'll find out tomorrow what is going on
if I can.

Thank you.

I told them that using the ctrl-alt-f1 key might have shown
whether your system was actually hung or not.

Nada- nor ctl-alt-backspace, and as Lear pointed out "Nothing comes from nothing"
(Well, post Big Bang anyway!)

The main point I think though is that if there is a problem, regardless
of whether non-MS apps are used or not, then you should be able to at
least complain about it.

Agreed whole heartedly.

If something gets resolved then great;
alternatively if the answer is that only MS apps are supported then at
least you know where you stand with regard to the service you are trying
to use.

Yes, one has a place to stand, a fulcrum and a lever! What did that Greek fellow say
about that?

As to the Uni more supporting unix/linux that would be great but I
suspect it will be a long and slow process. The students have most clout
there I think because they can insist (!) that unix/linux is taught
because companies require it of them. The Uni will look bad if they are
teaching things that are not helping the students to get placements or
jobs. (Or rather are 'not' teaching things that companies are asking to
be taught! Companies have a fair say in things because they provide
spnsorship and placements.)

Aha! I think we have them (or, at least, we may have them in the near to medium
term......

 Needless to say
there are other souls and departments out there that would no doubt like
to use unix/linux but it is made difficult for them. I say no more :-)

But we spread the word, and eventually it will work. I've not been long with my
current employer but I've convinced the web-site guy (converted), and several others
(the poor graphics design guy doesn't even have a Mac!)  who are now using Mozilla
and Open Office on their windows boxes. It won't be be long before they too want a
choice of window manager, and multiple screens, and, and, and, and.....

The IT manager is listening, too. I suggest he tries one server using samba to see
if that improves the site's up-time. I'll keep suggesting, especially around budget
time...

Terence