Re: [LUG] EXCEL AND OPEN OFFICE

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 22:30, Terence McCarthy wrote:
I found that I had constant trouble with M$ Office 2000 and OO
saved-in-M$Word-format files when others accessed them with M$Word/Excel etc..

However, saving them as M$Office 98 (I think it is) cures the problem, as
flakeOffice then asks you if you want to save the file in the new and unique file
format of your own personal version of M$SwearWord. Having done that the OO file's
table(s) is/are the right size and shape.

One of my boxes is being used by my younger sister at the moment it's
still running Linux :) and OpenOffice 1.1 for her to do her college work
on. But she keeps on saying it "messes up the layout". I think I will
try and get her to save as the older format.

Is there any way to mount & unmount the floppy drive automatically like
windows does? (because I am frustrated at having to re-explain the
mounting/unmounting concept every time I visit home.)

M$ changes its file formats/protocols periodically to screw up FS/OSS
alternatives but I think they are less likely to do that with the old M$
formats because doing so would screw up compatibility for their own
users too.

Now I have to try and explain to my parents *again* that I don't know
how to fix the kernel32 error that appears when windows 98 starts up on
the home PC (without a reinstall).