Re: [LUG] PS/2 and linux (playstation)

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 18:32, Paul wrote:
How did the install of Linux on the PS/2 go, at the Exeter meet, there
is nothing in the write up that mentions it.
Paul

It failed miserably. The official Sony boot disk got scratched somehow
and it wouldn't load the "compatibility" layer between Linux and the
hardware. I think that layer is more to there to restrict buyers of the
kits from doing "bad things". There is a "missing" manual that official
developers get that is not given to people who buy the Linux kit,
apparently it describes in detail how to read stuff from the CD drive
and other highly secret "bad things" that mortals are not allowed to
know.

I think I might try the unofficial route to convert it but I'm worried
I'll mess up the hardware. Unfortunately PS2's are a still quite
expensive.

If I converted X-box I wouldn't have to worry about not being able to
play games on it if the installation went wrong. Plus there's the extra
cool factor of annoying Microsoft.