Re: [LUG] thinclients | next meet

frank black wrote:
|  I got a p90 here set up as thinclient. If the thinclient is really thin
| you don't really need much. This one has 32mb RAM and as I say, 90mhz
| CPU.
|
| It runs very well if using ltsp because all the processing is done
remotely.

No it's not...

| I have also got XFree86 (the full thing), IceWM, ssh and midnight
| commander on a 64mb flash card. With graphics rendered locally like this
| it's usable but not as responsive as we tend to be used to these days. You
| could view this set up as "not-so-thin". If you're interested in
| distributing CPU time like this you might want to check out
| http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/kdrive.html
|
|  I've also found a p90, 32mb to be ok with "1diskxwin", but I can't find
| the download mirror for it.
|
|  If you're going to try ltsp then you don't need anything in the client to
| boot from if you have a ethernet card that has a boot rom built in.
| Alternatively you can use this:
| http://syslinux.zytor.com/pxe.php
|  This is very cool :)

Some machines come with PXE boot roms onboard... this is particularly
true about compaq and IBM hardware.

|  I suggest you try using a current machine as a thinclient before you
| spend £££. You might do this using the pxe bootdisk for example. I
| recommend this since you need to know dhcp and tftp a bit and it can have
| it's stumbling blocks.

Or a VMWare machine...

|  By the way, the reason I take interest in thinclients is so that I can
| chuck my noisy box in another room, access it remotely and get some
| sleep.

Sleeping while working is not advised....

|  This could be the subject of the next lug meet. My p90 is heavy but just
| about carryable.

We can rustle up a forlift if needed i am sure...

| ps2's and xbox's also make great thinclients too. In fact for this you
| might even be able to have a seporate cd with the thinclient stuff on like
| it was just another game!
|
|  I also have a program for Windows called "X-Win32" that is basically an X
| Server for win32. XFree86 is also available on Windows via cygwin, it
| works well in combo with putty.
|
|  Unfortunately I worked out you need a gigabit connection and a bit more
| (compression might do it) to play games such as Quake3. Quake2/1 or doom
| and ut+acsii-lib can help this. Having said this, gigabit cards are now
| only £45 each. (though hubs/switches still astronomic).
|
| p.s. It would be handy if the next meet co-insided with the 2600 meet, I'd
| like to meet those guys but don't fancy the extra money to fund the trip
| from Plymouth->Exeter.

1st Friday of the month... Let us know in advance so we can arange where
to meet etc if it is to coencide with 2600...

| Many thanks.

BTW if anyone has questions about thin client computing, feel free to
email me. I may not know the answre but i know where to find the answers..

Neil Stone

~ Flash on telnet://TR3.Org:3000 and irc://irc.r-t-f-m.org.uk/DCLUG

~   .~.   SELECT * FROM windows.users WHERE (clue != NULL AND clue > 0);
~   /V\
~  // \\   0 row(s) returned.
~ /(   )\
~  ^`~'^

"Backups are for wimps. Real men upload their data to an FTP site and
have everyone else mirror it."                    - Linus Torvalds