[LUG] thinclients | next meet

I got a p90 here set up as thinclient. If the thinclient is really thin
you don't really need much. This one has 32mb RAM and as I say, 90mhz
CPU.

It runs very well if using ltsp because all the processing is done remotely.

I have also got XFree86 (the full thing), IceWM, ssh and midnight
commander on a 64mb flash card. With graphics rendered locally like this
it's usable but not as responsive as we tend to be used to these days. You
could view this set up as "not-so-thin". If you're interested in
distributing CPU time like this you might want to check out
http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/kdrive.html

I've also found a p90, 32mb to be ok with "1diskxwin", but I can't find
the download mirror for it.

If you're going to try ltsp then you don't need anything in the client to
boot from if you have a ethernet card that has a boot rom built in.
Alternatively you can use this:
http://syslinux.zytor.com/pxe.php
This is very cool :)

I suggest you try using a current machine as a thinclient before you
spend £££. You might do this using the pxe bootdisk for example. I
recommend this since you need to know dhcp and tftp a bit and it can have
it's stumbling blocks.

By the way, the reason I take interest in thinclients is so that I can
chuck my noisy box in another room, access it remotely and get some
sleep.

This could be the subject of the next lug meet. My p90 is heavy but just
about carryable.

ps2's and xbox's also make great thinclients too. In fact for this you
might even be able to have a seporate cd with the thinclient stuff on like
it was just another game!

I also have a program for Windows called "X-Win32" that is basically an X
Server for win32. XFree86 is also available on Windows via cygwin, it
works well in combo with putty.

Unfortunately I worked out you need a gigabit connection and a bit more
(compression might do it) to play games such as Quake3. Quake2/1 or doom
and ut+acsii-lib can help this. Having said this, gigabit cards are now
only £45 each. (though hubs/switches still astronomic).

p.s. It would be handy if the next meet co-insided with the 2600 meet, I'd
like to meet those guys but don't fancy the extra money to fund the trip
from Plymouth->Exeter.

Many thanks.