Re: Oracle on Linux - was [LUG] The _real_ Andrew Pearce

Brough, Tom wrote:

Too be fair all oracle do similar to this on most of
the flavours of *NIX they support.

Most perhaps - HP-UX 9 and 10 shipped with the default kernel parameters
recommended for running medium sized Oracle databases.

Okay Oracle changed their minds several times on obscure things like how
to allocate memory to buffer cache - but these were minor performance
tweak and not show stoppers.

The vast majority of HP-UX servers out there I've seen run Oracle - they
run it well - most of the HP-UX boxes not running Oracle were
workstations - and I've seen quite a few of those running Oracle as well.

However Oracle do ship a "how to configure HP-UX" document for Oracle -
which says "kernel parameter X must be set to Y", and you dig around in
the admin tool checking them anyway only to find they are all set right
- so all it saves is one reboot at the end of it.

I guess the moral is it is not enough to set good defaults, you have to
make it easy for the conscientious admin to know you've done it right.

"/usr/bin/check_my_config_is appropriate_for_XXXX"