RE: Oracle on Linux - was [LUG] The _real_ Andrew Pearce

Many moons ago in a far distant galaxy called Torbay Council .....  I
attempted to install Oracle ( 9.2.0.1.0) on a RH 7.2 release as the backend
DB for a test of the Aplaws Content Management System. The project was
doomed from the start.

(technically because the box was an old 350Mhz with only 384 Mb's Memory
because that was the max it could take , and politically for reasons I can
not go into here, but anyone who cares to listen to my rants at DCLUG
meetings will probably be able to guess).

However after a lot of fighting, browsing the web and looking for RPMS that
cripple RH (using backward versions of binutils IIRC) in order to get oracle
functional, it worked. There are some tweeks you will probably need to do to
the /etc/sysctl.conf. Too be fair all oracle do similar to this on most of
the flavours of *NIX they support.

sysctl.conf settings follow:

kernel.shmmax = 2147483648
kernel.sem = 1500 32000 1000 1000

(dont forget to <shock>reboot</shock>)

Of course if you want to goto RH they will recommend that you buy their
server product. Im sure its an excellent product, but my guess is that it
just bundles the RPM cripples and sysctl config tweeks into a configuration
RPM and jacks the prices up by a factor of 1000, still it could be more cost
effective than DIY. Sorry too cynical Im sure there are other tweeks in
there too. (Before I start a flame war I would just like it noted that I use
RH for LTSP and its (never?) let me down ....... well hardly ever.

Tom.

Information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged.
It is the intended solely for the person ( or persons) to whom it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender,
and please delete the message from your system immediately. The views in
this message are personal, they are not necessarily those of Torbay Council.