[LUG] ssh & X forwarding

I recently "acquired" a pc which I've set up as a ssh
server and which I can connect to from work by using
cygwin.

I startx without specifying a window manager and then
use xterm to "ssh -X" to the server and then start a
window manager on the server (eg "fluxbox &") - and
this all works fine.

Unfortunately when I installed cygwin on my laptop and
tried the same thing startx came up with twm. So I
found /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and commented out the
line with "twm". However after "ssh -X" when I tried
to start fluxbox I got an error message saying a
window manager was already running.

I've checked "ps" and as far as I can tell there are
no window managers running on either the laptop or the
server.

What's confusing me even more is that this works fine
from the computer at work - why? I'm beginning to
wonder if I've got it wrong somewhere and it's just
blind luck that it's ok from the computer at work.

I've checked the sshd_config file on the server and
I'm pretty sure that there's nothing in there that
could be causing the problem.

Any suggestions?

best regards,

Mark