[LUG] Process refuses to run in background

I'm trying to get a user-space program, Mutella, to run in the background.

*  "nohup mutella &" - mutella exits silently, it just says "stopped"
*  "nohup mutella" - it just sits there, but mutella doesn't run

Okay, so maybe this is a Mutella-specific problem, in which case you probably can't help me, but i was under the impression that any program that you can run in the foreground can be run in the background?

BTW, if anyone uses the Gnutella P2P network and has a remote linux box that is up more than their client machine, as I do, Mutella provides an excellent solution with a very pretty web interface: http://mutella.sf.net

Cheers,

Jon