[LUG] many

-=Sent a copy of this initialy to the 2600's, but thought the LUG may be
able to help / find of interest=-

Subjects:

- intro to me
- Eurobell
- wireless
- Termisoc
- noisy computers

My first post to the list as the 2600 group down here seems not so well
known. I
haven't actually got internet access at home as I can't afford it (it's an
addiction anyway) - I have to do it all via sneakernet :)

A brief introduction to myself - basically I'm about as knowledgable as
you can
get without programming or taking an interest in cracking. Tried many
times to
learn to code and failed mostly due to lack of self disapline but also
because
although I have the ideas I'm not sure I have the memory. Having said this I
did once look through the code to a web server called monkeyd and submit a
patch
to enable symlink support. Still, I love
technology and science, be it computers, whatever. I mostly just like
tweaking,
finding out how things work and generally being creative with a *nix box. I'm
afraid I don't really share geek humor. I just take a strong interest in
engineering. Some help I may be able to offer:

- anything media related
- your usual linux stuff
- where can I find a program that does x?
- anything to do with Environmental, Geography, Geology, science in general
- ot: fitness/health
- starting a biz (well, I know some people)
- this list was a bad idea

What I'm not so hot on:

- "Hi, I'm trying to generate my own packets"
- "Hi, I'm trying to program..."

What I'd like to know more about:

- making your own hardware, flashing ROMs/chips
- Telecoms in this country. Darn those US .txt's!

Also: I like to learn my doing things. Really can't be bothered to read
about things
for great lengths at a time. `If it's boring from start to finish, don't
bother`.

Sorry couldn't make it to the last meeting - lots of work on at the moment. I
should be at the next to meet you guys. Speaking of which, is anyone going
to the
next Devon/Cornwall LUG meet? I've got some work to hand in the next day
so may
not go.

I've never taken an interest in cable access, usually prefering ADSL for a
more predictable service but I've read a few articles lately about cable
that have got me intrigued. One article in particular was an eye opener
for me;
that each cable modem has its own firmware bordering on its own OS.

By all means, don't bother if you think a question may be answered by a
Eurobell FAQ. I'll
have a look for this when I next go in to read my email:

- Have any 2600er's worked for Eurobell (Telewest Broadband), or any cable
companies in the UK?

- How does it differ from cable in the US?

- What is Eurobell by the way? The old name for Telewest Broadband?

- How is the service provided? Does a seporate cable from the phone line
come in
or it it all through one cable? We've got two Eurobell phone lines, if we
were
to subscribe to cable would they need to run a cable in or do we already have
everything we need? I can only see what look like phone lines running in,
surely
that wouldn't carry enough for internet, phone & TV? I heard it runs off a
coax
kind of cable, shielded?

- Where are Eurobells equivalent to the BT local green box? What are
the details? These things must pack some bandwidth?

- What is Telewest's relationship to Blueyonder? As far as I can see it seems
that Telewest provides the intrastructure, while Blueyonder are just the
ISP. So
who assigns an IP?

* Have any 2600er's setup a link between the free-call Eurobell-Eurobell
lines for
a laugh? Well, I say a laugh but this is coming from someone with no
internet ;)
I'd pay £5 p/month if I could to save me walking in to collect my emails.

( By the way, isn't it a shame the way Telewest Broadband is so expensive;
£25 I
think compared to £6.99 and upwards from NTL? Pipex used to be £19.99
before BT
put wholesale prices up. )

* Have any 2600 people thought of setting up gorilla style wireless
networks? As
a nieve liberal I quite fancy the idea; ready for when the internet gets
locked
down. Recently read an article about email access in Cambodia - it's by
motorbike. A similar setup with caching and wireless could be interesting,
especially if it could be run as a portable hardware appliance without
relying
on software. I haven't the hardware yet but I'd love to try it with software.
What hardware could be adapted to do this job? There's a few website setup
that
talk about this but I'd like to _actually do it_, in Plymouth. I can see
range
as being a problem, has anyone got any experience in that? I think the major
thing holding anything back is the lack of standards, or at least agreed
protocols / methods along with something easy to use.

* Anyone handy with BSD? I'm fine with it once installed but there's one
thing
that puzzles me - this slices thing. I can't seem to get my head round it.
Why this extra layer over partitions? Is it an analogue to LVM or more like
an answer to extended partition thing?

---
News: (You may not find this of much interest)
The UoP computing club is dying a death right now. Nothings happened for
years. My preference was to scrap it on the basis that death is the best
thing
to bring it back to life; something better will form in it's place free
from the
mess before it. Instead there's been hardware upgrades and the like. I don't
really see there's much point as:

- there's precious little you can do behind the firewall. Even if you
could the
rules are lock-down.
- the connection isn't that useful anymore; a lot of people have broadband at
the same speed. In fact, they have faster home connections in places like
Finland (100mbit).
- nobody will join as it's social suicide
- the smart people won't put any work in leaving fools and script kiddies
to run
it
- UoP's Computing course is shocking imho, attracting only the nieve who
didn't
think it through
- UoP don't seem to give the impression they care for 1960 hacker ethics. It
seems like money over knowledge for them, which I can understand.

Basically there's about 2 people who have a rough knowledgable of most
subjects
but we're both be leaving next year. The ones left are just beginning to
try out
linux... so don't expect much yet. I've suggested reforming to include
computer
aided arts such as Graphics and web design / music.
---

* Anyone got any experience of making PC's quiet? Can't afford an iBook
unfortunately.

* Anyone know of a VoIP access number that works with Eurobell?

-FIN-