[LUG] Learning a language with linux

Hi

Robin said a lot about GUIs and that they came between the "fun programmer" and getting somthing done in say C.

I must say having read his letter I have fallen into the trap he describes.  I am spending all my time trying to learn not to programme, but how to use the GUI.  This can not be right!  So I hav seen the light, no more GUIs.  The problem now is, could someone please point me in the correct direction to creat a simple interface.  Even how to clearscreen would be a start.  And then perhaps to put a bit of text say at the bottom of the screen, or divide the screen up?

I could do all this in Turbo C++, but how in Red Hat C++ whatever it is called (Linux/gnu?).

To I follow up ncurses?  YES  Just looked at help..

int clear(void) seems promising. Probably have to open a window first however??  Suck it and see!

Thanks Robin

Peter

Lynx friendly