RE: [LUG] Callington Community College - programming course

You could use C but it can be a bit unforgiving. One advantage with Linux is
the rlogon remote logon service which may or may not be installed as it os
viewed as a security risk. rlogon is great for killing one's C process that
has crashed and bringing the screen back to life.

Have you considered using PHP or Perl. Perl msy be a bit abstruse but PHP
has good modern features and might appeal more to your students.