Re: [LUG] Cheap PCMCIA Wireless LAN

Robin Cornelius wrote:

Hi All,

For all you laptop users, maplin electronics has some Binatone WL1000 802.11b+ PCMCIA cards for £12.99. While these don't work "out of the box" on linux (certanly not on mandrake anyway) a quick trip to http://www.houseofcraig.net/acx100_howto.php will get everything working in 15 minutes or so. (Binaries provided for different distros as well).

What's the range like? Does it have a connector for an external antenna?

I wouldn't mind having a muck about with this, it's got to the price point where even miserly people like myself can justify buying one on novelty value alone :-) What's linux auto-network-detection like at present? Not up to MacOS X standards, I presume?

Cheers,

Jon