Re: [LUG] Cat5 and telephone cable

On Thursday 29 January 2004 11:33 pm, Daniel Palmer wrote:
It's also possible to use the spair pairs in a Cat 5 cable for a
telephone or another network connection :).

It depends exactly upon what equipment is connected to the network cable.
iirc telephone's use 50v (whether this is just for the ring I'm not sure) -
imagine what that would do to you network switch or even worse your laptop.
I'd not advise trying.

But there again of course you can use a network cable for telephones - it's
called voip and it works :) also it's pretty cheap to setup:
Assuming a single pots line:
Asterisk server - I used a spare K6 500 box
fxo card - £50
ata-286 to connect up your normal phone - £50
get a free account with voiptalk.org and/or fwd.pulver.com and you can talk
free to anyone on their networks.

It can get a bit tricky if you're behind a firewall, but there are ways
arround it.

HTH
Jon