Re: [LUG] RE:Google problems.

Neil Williams wrote:

Tiscali tried the same thing. They said it was about load balancing - they wanted everyone to use a Tiscali dialler that changed the dialup number from time to time. Sounded unlikely and very risky - I mean, this was MY phone

If the number dialed was a geographic number there might be some merit to the "load balancing" argument. On a non geographic number it's nonsensical. If the ISP is run by a PTO even geographic numbers can be redirected trivially.

bill and I didn't have control over which numbers were being dialled??? Umm, no, I don't think I'll use that, thanks. Not that I don't trust Tiscali, I don't trust anything that changes my system without even a by-your-leave and if there's even a slight chance that it'll suddenly change 0845 to 0990 then I think I'll not take the risk. (!)

Dosn't even have to be Tiscali, there is already quite a bit of malware about which alters dialup settings for Windows.