Re: [LUG] RE:Google problems.

On Sunday 01 Feb 2004 3:22 pm, Andrew Rogers wrote:
Carl Maniglia wrote:

I had a similar experience with Freeserve Anytime and their Internet
Connection Kit. They did provide dail up numbers but still persisted in

Tiscali tried the same thing. They said it was about load balancing - they
wanted everyone to use a Tiscali dialler that changed the dialup number from
time to time. Sounded unlikely and very risky - I mean, this was MY phone
bill and I didn't have control over which numbers were being dialled??? Umm,
no, I don't think I'll use that, thanks. Not that I don't trust Tiscali, I
don't trust anything that changes my system without even a by-your-leave and
if there's even a slight chance that it'll suddenly change 0845 to 0990 then
I think I'll not take the risk. (!)

sending me letters telling me to install the Internet Connection Kit. I
received about five letters. Also it became difficult getting a

I received 24 from Tiscali - they didn't understand when I said I wasn't
running Windows. "But we only support Windows" "That's what you have been
told to say, yes, but that doesn't mean only Windows can connect" "Duh?"

connection, most times the connection would fail on the first attempt
and very often three attempts were necessary. When I did get a

Tiscali often needed several attempts and had a noticeable timeout. I can't
remember how long it was now but it was a lot less than the 2 hours that some
ISP's promoted. However, I noticed the same problems with family members
using Tiscali over DUN rather than using the Tiscali dialler - it wasn't a
Linux problem.

--

Neil Williams