Re: [LUG] Laptop woes cont'd

TrevorASansom@xxxxxxx wrote:

Now for a query, I did some DVD ripping from Windows XP and saved files to a vfat directory. I can only acces these files from Linux as root and cannot change permissions. Copied them to new partition, as root, and changed permissions and can access these files, why?

Most likely your vfat partition is mounted with something like /dev/hda1 /c vfat defaults

This will typically only allow root to access the files.

Change it to someting like
        /dev/hda1       /c      vfat    defaults,umask=000

Then umount and remount the VFAT partition (the remount option
to mount does not appear to work in this situation) and any
user should be able to access.

Permission (and ownership) changing dosn't work on VFAT filesystems.

About the only version which will work is "chmod +/-w <filename>"