[LUG] Laptop woes cont'd

My problems with a Hewlett Packard laptop were easily resolved.
Currys refunded in full, including carrying case, without any arguments.
Went to PC World and bought Toshiba A30 Satellite for same money and better spec.
It came with set of discs to reconfigure machine to original spec (after HD reformat).
I've installed Mandrake 9.2 and it works a treat, even has about 3 different working DVD players.
Sound required a driver change but OK now, apart from always sets mix levels at about 50% which has to be changed every reboot. Kmix doesn't have a save settings option.

Now for a query, I did some DVD ripping from Windows XP and saved files to a vfat directory. I can only acces these files from Linux as root and cannot change permissions. Copied them to new partition, as root, and changed permissions and can access these files, why?

Trevor Sansom

Lynx friendly