[LUG] OT : Help Please - I/O errors

On Saturday 24 Jan 2004 2:17 pm, David Bell wrote:
I have just carried out a first scan using BitDefender AV.  The log below
includes an <I/O errors> entry.  What does it mean?

Usually happens when a file is changed during access. I can't find much on the
bitdefender site - the PDF won't download from the link using Konqueror.
http://www.bitdefender.com/bd/site/support.php?menu_id=15#
(probably because it isn't a real link to a real file using broken
Javascript).

Mozilla got it OK (3MB and annoyingly .zip instead of .gz).

I presume from the documentation that you are actually using BitDefender on
Windows, not on Linux with Sendmail.
http://www.bitdefender.com/index.php?tab=2

(That's why this reply is marked OT - off-topic). Your I/O errors could
therefore be caused by any number of malware programs on your Windows box, by
corruptions on the partition that Scandisk cannot solve or any number of
other Windows-only afflictions.

(BTW. BitDefender for Linux doesn't have a very nice licence.)
The Linux documentation is 23kb instead of the Windows 3MB (wouldn't you just
know it!) and consists of a nasty licence and a bare man page. It's 90%
licence, 10% info. There's a GPL program that will do the job at SourceForge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/amavis/
Looks quite useful and is being actively developed. It also allows you to use
a wide variety of AV scanners, depending on your choice of subscription and
the open AV solution is in development:
http://www.openantivirus.org/
or there's another one: http://www.decros.cz/~reho/check_virus/
(some of the links are in Russian though!)
That's just a quick look - there's probably a lot more out there.

--

Neil Williams