Re: [LUG] command line up2date

Rick Timmis wrote:
Oh you are just Debian Mental

With good reason I suspect.

Beside "apt" for Redhat didn't work too well for me, I had to use "yuk"
or whatever it's called*, to get sensible behaviour.

My boss muttered something about a Redhat to Debian upgrade (there is no
other word for it) path......

I didn't need to think twice - the answer was "no" - been through
"upgrades" from one packaging tool to another (HP-UX 9 to HP-UX 10),
which was officially supported up to the point someone actually did it
(as far as I can tell).

The right way in such circumstances is always to reinstall..... that way
the packaging system has knowledge of the full state of the system (or
at least a fighting chance).

If I sound bitter, I've been compiling the latest version of sendmail
from source all afternoon - all done now - but does anyone know how I
was suppose to link in /usr/local/BerkeleyDB4.2/lib/libdb-4.2.so ?

sh Build -c -I/usr/local/B..../include/ -L/usr/local/B.../lib/

Got it to link, but at run time it barfed about not being able to get
the db-4.2 shared library, and sure enough ldd agreed.

In the end I just linked the static library in /usr/local/BerkeleyDB/lib
, lets hope 50 copies of the library in memory doesn't take up too much
RAM.

Simon

*yum