RE:[LUG] NVIDIA driver installation after kernel update

Googling reveals that others are having problems with
the 5328 release of the Nvida driver. As yet no-one
appears to have a solution.

But I read some great reports about a previous beta
release NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4628=pkg1.run.
{Look in the Linux discussion forum on the Nvidia
site for details and where to download but as always
it is beta so it's at your own risk.}

I've installed it and it's running as I write. Installation
followed my earlier post except that Sax2 was NOT
used at all.
Also fps=1524 (the fastest I've ever had} on my little Vanta
16 MB card.

The real bonus is that it comes with a neat little setup
utility in /usr/bin/nvidia-settings. It provides:

Display adaptor information
XFree86 Colour Correction
XFree86 XVideo Settings
OpenGL Settings
Antialias Settings

Why NVIDIA didn't include this utility in their latest release
beats me.

It's early days but it seems stable after about 3hrs of use
and the screensave doesn't take it out. So fingers
crossed for the next few days!! I'll post again if any
problems arise.

Aside: Apologies if this mail reads disjointedly but my back
is giving me f***.

Keith
--
SuSE 8.2 on ECS K7S5A/XP with 1.2GHz Athlon, 384MB RAM,
Maxtor 20GB HD and using KDE's Kmail