Re: [LUG] Introduction

On Sunday 04 January 2004 13:35, Simon Waters wrote:
Anton Channing wrote:
I currently work in Norwich as a programmer (using,
boo hiss, M$ stuff, like c# and asp.net) but plan to
return to Plymouth (where all my family live, and where
I grew up) at some point in 2004 (hense I am on this
list and not ALUG)

Being from Thorpe St Andrew originally, I have to regard moving from
Norwich to Plymouth as a suspect plan. You must miss your family a lot ;)

Bah!  I guess the grass is always greener. I've lived in Norwich 11 1/2 years
now, starting at UEA, then Heigham Street, back to UEA, the Bowthorpe,
then UEA Village, then Drayton Road, then St Benedicts and finally wound
up here in Thorpe Hamlet.  I've had enough of this place and want to move
on.

Its not just my family I miss.  I have lots of friends in Plymouth, I miss the
sea, (and Yarmouth just doesn't compete with the Hoe), I miss decent
Pasties and Clotted Cream.

We aren't worried about geography, but ALUG does have Mark doing lots of
work arranging meetings in Norwich and elsewhere, be a pity not to take
advantage of the opportunities presented. I fear we don't have anyone
prepared to dedicate quite so much effort as Mark, although we are
grateful for those that try.

I did get to an ALUG meeting once, in which a friend failed to
install debian on my machine.  Incompatible graphics card
or something.  So I'm currently running SuSE which I installed
myself later.

I'm sure if
I did it properly, we would all be able to see our email
regardless of what pc we are on, instead of there being
one machine that has it on.

Yeap - works here using UW IMAP nicely. Although some mail clients are
easier to configure with IMAP than others.

Okay thanks to all who recommend IMAP, I will look into this
AFTER I move to plymouth.  At the moment I've got too much
to get ready with the move to want to rearrange the network.

Have
been thinking of trying out Mozilla's mail client, but
am not really sure that it will be better?

Mozilla has better IMAP (and LDAP support to make the address book
follow you around the network as well as your emai) support but
otherwise I don't think there is much to choose between them.

GnuPG support is easier to set up in Mozilla, Kmail will overtake it
when Werner and friends have the Aegypten project in a more stable state.

I'm currently on version KMail 1.4.3.
Will have to check to see if any upgrades are available.  I have
noticed a bug where mine doesn't seem to open URLs in
emails correctly.

Last ftp I did, I did with KDE3 and Konqueror, I clicked a link that
opened up the ftp site as a window, and just lasso'ed the files I wanted
and dragged and dropped. I know very GUI based, but the windows were
already open.

Actually that sounds handy.  Is it possible to set up such a link
with ftp username and password built in (to put on an page that
never goes live obviously)?   The only protocols I've used from
html links are http, https and mailto.

It was noticably slow on administrative data but since it
was 70 odd big files, so command line restarts and the like woud have
been tiresome.

But then I prefer Konqueror as a browser, and Mozilla as a mail client,
so I'm kind of the exact opposite of you applicationwise.

Do you?  I find that some sites just don't load in Konqueror, whereas they
do in Mozilla.  Of course, I may not be on latest versions.  In fact, I
strongly suspect I've made quite a mess of the way things are set up in
Linux.

Although I'm
becoming a Kmail convert slowly, the thing is Kmail is doing a lot of
growing up at the moment, so whenever I think of switching my laptop I
find a new Kmail update and another nice new feature.