Re: [LUG] Introduction

On Sunday 04 Jan 2004 10:51 pm, Jon Masters wrote:

I have a continual struggle between making my site boring and plain and
also viewable in horribly broken browsers. The old site was nice and
bland but people moaned and I thought it looked terrible so I tried
properly CSSifying it which is great until you have no CSS :-).

I don't bother with broken browsers, but I do try and cover non-CSS browsers
at codehelp.co.uk - I'm working through a series of changes to improve the
text-only presentation at the moment. I find that position:absolute; or
float:right are very useful because I can put the source at the end of the
file (where it won't get in the way of the content for text-to-speech) but
use CSS to put it 'above the fold' in a GUI browser. I'm working on getting
the content first in all files, then the nav links and then thinks like the
GNU/FDL copy notice and ValidHTML/ValidCSS image links.

Once I've got a bit more done, I'll get back to the dclug site. I've been
side-tracked recently with the isbnsearch project (now at stable release
0.4!) and I've got a long list of jobs needing doing.

| FTP: Use command line for this.  A bit primitive perhaps,
| compared to some of the GUI ones I've use in windoze,
| but effective.  And reminds me of when I first learned ftp
| at uni, which was also command line.

I always get problems on the command line with FTP - the server response never
comes back before the ftp> prompt has moved on. I get lost in a maze of
pending calls. I use gFTP but prefer .tar.gz->scp->ssh

--

Neil Williams