Re: [LUG] Is HTTPS different?

Simon Waters wrote:
> Mark Evans wrote:
>
>>It certainly is possible to do this, otherwise
>>https://www.st-peters-high.devon.sch.uk wouldn't work :)
>

> I figured it should work, as we were using plugdaemon to do this before,
> and it doesn't seem to do anything clever.

Grr, going to beat our firewalls into "REJECT" and "LOG" rather than
"silently dropping".....

Two stupid things I haven't had working were solved this morning after a
 weekend off, both were firewall rules stopping things happening.

In this case although I rewrote the packets "correctly", they were
rewritten as coming from the wrong IP address (a different alias of
eth0), and the firewall ate them whole.

In summary after upgrading Apache from 1.3 to 2.0.47, we experienced
"weird" behaviour from plugdaemon in forwarding https packets. For some
combinations only the first 8Kbytes were forwarded.

The behaviour was very weird, and only occurred with plugdaemon, and
some https clients (no obvious pattern emerging, i.e. one wget 1.8
worked, one didn't, but always consistently "all" or "8K" with a
specific combination).

We replaced plugdaemon with iptables port forwarding, and (when the IP
address were all correct) the problem went away. Plugdaemon was probably
a relic from 2.2 kernel days when port forwarding required bespoke
kernel builds.

The lesson, sometimes networks are weird, and it is often down to the
firewalls. Also some problems are better side stepped than solved.