[LUG] Is HTTPS different?

For various reasons I don't pretend to understand we want to forward
https requests from one machine on our LAN to another.

Set up IP forwarding, plaguarised a script from the Internet, and nothing.

Set up "echo" on port 7, changed "443" to "7" in the firewall script,
and bingo it worked first time.

Is there any reason to expect https to be different?

I wondered if it was possibly existing processes on the forwarding box
that try to do the same thing (broken https forwarding), but I don't
think the should even see the packets if the are altered in a
"PREROUTING" rule.

We have lots of other ways of doing this, but I am perplexed as to why
port forwarding doesn't just work.