Re: [LUG] TFT Monitors

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 18:11:51 -0000
"paul" <zen14920@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am looking to get a TFT display, are there any issues I should be thinking
> of regarding compatability with Linux?
>
> thanks
>
> Paul

I have used several TFT monitors including..

15" Unbranded.
15" Benq (Acer)
17" Benq
12" Acer (Laptop)

They all worked fine with debian, Slack and OpenBSD. The only issues were more general TFT related rather than Linux specific, such as..

1) If you watch a lot of movies or play fast moving games investigate getting a display with a fairly good response time to avoid ghosting.

2) Make sure your graphics card and OS combination will support the native resolution of the TFT or it will look terrible.

3) Have a play with Sub-pixel Sampling/Clear Type, some people swear by it and others are wildly indifferent.

Anyway, I have never had any Linux related issues with TFT monitors but as ever YMMV. The one area I haven't tried is using the DVI connection between graphics card and monitor, so if you want to take the digital route it would be worth checking the level of Linux support for DVI out on your graphics card.

Regards

dave