Re: [LUG] NFS, /etc/resolv.conf rather odd connection.

On Thursday 06 Nov 2003 8:19 pm, Andrew Rogers wrote:
> If I do
> exportfs -r
> There is a very long delay of about one minute.
> /etc/init.d/nfs start also gives a delay.
>
> When clients try to mount an NFS directory it very rarely suceeds, there
> is a long delay if it does mount. What I can't quite understand is that
> if a remove /etc/resolv.conf and restart NFS or do exportfs -r NFS

So what's in /etc/resolv.conf?
Are you running an available DNS with reverse lookup?
Are you using IP addresses in /etc/export?

> behaves perfectly with no long delays.

DNS timeout?

> How can removing /etc/resolv.conf fix this NFS problem?

Because mount is trying to reverse lookup? Not sure.

> How can I configure NFS so that it doesn't depend on /etc/resolv.conf?

Make sure /etc/resolv.conf is pointing to an available/working nameserver.

--

Neil Williams