Re: [LUG] Exeter toppe for WiFi

Jon Lawrence wrote:

> Take a look at star-os (http://www.star-os.com) - it's linux based, but uses
> proprietry drivers + other things. IIRC it's $60 per license and it works a
> treat. As with all other things linux, the forum are pretty good and
> questions normally get answered promptly.

Interesting. Quite a few of these around. One I found yesterday which
licence and ship their OS (smells like a Linux variant to me)
preinstalled on compact flash, with an IDE adaptor for under 100 USD.

But building your own WAP is still the expensive option when top of the
range WAPs are 800 USD, unless you are building a lot.

The LEAF WISP is still pretty neat if you want to roll your own, and can
spend time instead of cash. Only took me a few hours to build a WAP,
most of that was mastering the syslinux boot loader, and reflashing
cards with more appropriate firmware levels.

> We use this for access points and some backhaul links. I'm hoping that at the
> next LUG meeting I'll be able to be there and do a talk on setting up
> wireless (WAP's, backhaul, hotspots) using linux.

Hehe, I did a wireless network for one presentation once, as I needed an
Internet connection in a room without a phone line.

I think dragging hubs along for LUG meeting is very outmoded, I have a
couple of wireless cards I could loan other members for a meeting.

If Exeter is really so well hotspotted we shouldn't need a WAP right ;-)

 Simon