Re: [LUG] ADSL BRIDGE/ROUTER

On Friday 14 November 2003 7:40 pm, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Friday 14 Nov 2003 7:04 pm, Michael Chidley wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anybody know what is the difference between an `ADSL Bridge` and an
> > `ADSL Router`?
>
> The ADSL is irrelevant to the difference, it works the same with ISDN etc.
>
> (I may have all this wrong, but I think this is how it works)
> Basically it's more intelligent bandwidth allocations. A router doesn't do
> any more work than a hub as far as sharing bandwidth within the local
> network. A bridge is more akin to a switch which ensures that each machine
> gets the full bandwidth available. A hub sends packets to all machines,
> whereas a switch knows which machines don't need to be bothered with which
> packets.

Hmm...Thanks Neil....The reason I was asking was because I am getting ADSL on
the 26/11 and have been reading the HOWTOs....but they are going right over
my head.... The ISP has sent me this info below (some bits changed!) and I
have installed a ADSL Router and NIC in my computer.

Username: myusername@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Password: password

Protocol: PPP/VC (sometimes called: PPPoA or PPP over ATM)
VPI=0 VCI=38
Encapsulation method: VCMUX
Modulation method:  G.DMT

Primary DNS Server: 194.106.56.6
Secondary DNS Server: 194.106.33.42

If somebody could give me an idoits guide what to do........

Mike