Re: [LUG] VNC

On Friday 21 November 2003 20:02, Simon Robert wrote:
> Hi
> do any of you have experience using vnc?
I use it a lot.  Only on a LAN so far.

> However out on a client site with a far more powerful machine running as
> the linux server it runs like a one legged dog!

> The problem maybe to do with xwindows, in that the kde desktop just
> ain't getting the resources and priorities it needs in terms of memory
> etc. The graphical login screen jumps up nice and fast, after that
> though you could make and drink a cup of tea between the display of each
> line of the kde gui.

Workspot.com manage to make it work over the Internet...

Suggestions:-
Do you need KDE?  fvwm or another lighterweight environment may be
sufficient.
Turn down the colours to 256.
Adjust the parametes of VNC so as to only send the active window.

TightVNC is a development optimised for slower nework connections, it also
encrypts.  I have not yet used it.

--
Dr Adrian Midgley          I use Free software because it is better
http://www.defoam.net/    They carefully didn't ask.