[LUG] VNC

Hi
do any of you have experience using vnc? It looks great, you can have lots of PC's, thin clients, whatever running linux gnome/kde/whatever sessions.

I thought that the tricky bit would be configuring it, but not so. With linux 9 the vnc server stuff comes as standard and configuring it all took about 4 minutes. I set it up PC to linux server at the office and all was good.

However out on a client site with a far more powerful machine running as the linux server it runs like a one legged dog!

The problem maybe to do with xwindows, in that the kde desktop just ain't getting the resources and priorities it needs in terms of memory etc. The graphical login screen jumps up nice and fast, after that though you could make and drink a cup of tea between the display of each line of the kde gui. As for the mouse move it from one side of the screen to the other and you can go off for 10 minutes while the graphical pointer catches up with the movement.

It doesn't seem to be a network problem as run it in text mode and it seems to go at normal speed, i.e. do a find or list things. So anyone got any ideas on what to do... ?

Simon

simon-robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://mysite.freeserve.com/simon_robert