Re: [LUG]: [ECDL] Re: easing the task

On 2 Oct 2003 at 19:20, Adrian Midgley wrote:

> I think there might be scope for a brief meeting at some time, but the
> actual authoring should be possible as a distributed job.

I think we probably need some sort of meeting just to get an initial plan set out. I agree
that the authoring can be distributed.

> And at people who have not yet decided to do ECDL, do not have a copy of
> Microsoft Office of their own, and when the time comes to do a course
> present a green field to any provider.

Two (or maybe three) possibilities here. The problem is that so many people have
pirate copies of MS Office. We need to get to people before they get set in their ways.
One plus would be for new training providers/businesses who will be far more worried
about licensing issues than individuals. Linux ECDL would offer a very cost effective
option.The third area (although we might not want to push it) is that all the OpenOffice
modules would probably work just as well in a Windows environment.

> Yes.
> The data-handling aspects of it are interesting - ODBC and so on.

I think that the database syllabus for ECDL (and all the other quals I have seen) seems
to be totally linked to the Access concept of database. I have been involved in teaching
CLAIT/NewCLAIT on Windows and the whole thing seems to be approached wrong.
(Sorry, it's a bit of a soap box as I have been working with relational databases for the
past 20 years)

> > For Module 2 we need to pick a desktop
> > as an example, I think it should be capable of performing most if not
> > all the syllabus requirements from the GUI (I don't think most people
> > will want to see the command line at this stage).
>
> Concur.
> I can see the command line bits as offshoots in the hypertext, from each
> piece of doing it by GUI..

I like the idea of putting together a core which will get people through the exam but
with lots of interesting diversions to try and get them to think about how things really
work and the underlying principles.

Pete