Re: [LUG]: [ECDL] Re: easing the task

It seems reasonable to assume that on Thursday 02 October 2003 14:58,
peter.walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I would be very interested in getting involved with the ECDL stuff.

Good.
I think there might be scope for a brief meeting at some time, but the
actual authoring should be possible as a distributed job.

> Are we aiming at the learners currently working on MS based courses who
> will have no experience of Linux? Are we aiming at people currently
> using Linux who want ECDL and would prefer to get it on Linux?

And at people who have not yet decided to do ECDL, do not have a copy of
Microsoft Office of their own, and when the time comes to do a course
present a green field to any provider.

> I think there are far more people in the first camp. Most of these will
> either just want to learn enough to get ECDL or will have specific
> applications (eg. Word Processing) that they want to learn. As most of
> the ECDL modules (3-7) are based around specific applications I don't
> think there will be much problem developing material provided we select
> an application that matches ECDL's syllabus. I think that the OpenOffice
> suite would be a good candidate.

Yes.
The data-handling aspects of it are interesting - ODBC and so on.

> For Module 2 we need to pick a desktop
> as an example, I think it should be capable of performing most if not
> all the syllabus requirements from the GUI (I don't think most people
> will want to see the command line at this stage).

Concur.
I can see the command line bits as offshoots in the hypertext, from each
piece of doing it by GUI..

--
From the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/