Re: [LUG]: [ECDL] Re: easing the task

I would be very interested in getting involved with the ECDL stuff.

I think it is important to define both target audience and our aims in general.

Are we aiming at the learners currently working on MS based courses who will have no
experience of Linux? Are we aiming at people currently using Linux who want ECDL
and would prefer to get it on Linux?

I think there are far more people in the first camp. Most of these will either just want to
learn enough to get ECDL or will have specific applications (eg. Word Processing) that
they want to learn. As most of the ECDL modules (3-7) are based around specific
applications I don't think there will be much problem developing material provided we
select an application that matches ECDL's syllabus. I think that the OpenOffice suite
would be a good candidate. For Module 2 we need to pick a desktop as an example, I
think it should be capable of performing most if not all the syllabus requirements from
the GUI (I don't think most people will want to see the command line at this stage).

Cheers,

Pete