Re: [LUG] Debian 3.0r1 on Alpha AXP - where now?

On Wednesday 22 Oct 2003 17:55, Alasdair Cunningham-Smith wrote:
> OK - this is my first ever Linux install.
>
> I got given an old Digital AlphaServer 1000A 5/400. This has a 400MHz
> RISC CPU, 256MB ECC RAM and a single 2GB SCSI disk in a built-in 7 disk
> hot-swap enclosure.

Nice :-)

> Graphics is a Number 9 Motion 331 (Trio 64V+ I think).
>
> I've done the following so far:
>
> Now I'm a bit stuck:
>
> *	What is the recommended text editor? I've had a go with emacs,
> but it's terribly arcane for a Windows user.

Someone may correct me, but you'll be lucky to find a 'normal' editor.
Personally, I like joe. It's small, fast and efficient. But, like any other
command line editor, you need to learn the commands.

I've just aquired a DEC Alphastation/255 so I will very soon be playing with
Debian on Alpha.
There is of course the Debian-Alpha mailing list if you need help more
specific to Alpha - http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/ .

HTH,
David.

--