[LUG] Debian 3.0r1 on Alpha AXP - where now?

OK – this is my first ever Linux install.

I got given an old Digital AlphaServer 1000A 5/400. This has a 400MHz RISC CPU, 256MB ECC RAM and a single 2GB SCSI disk in a built-in 7 disk hot-swap enclosure.

Graphics is a Number 9 Motion 331 (Trio 64V+ I think).

I’ve done the following so far:

  • upgraded the firmware
  • switched to the SRM (as opposed to AlphaBIOS)
  • worked out how to get the network card up at 100MHz FD
  • installed Debian from a CD I downloaded (as the only OS)
  • set the system to auto-boot at power-up
  • installed SAMBA and XFree86 on top of the basic profile

Now I’m a bit stuck:

  • How do I change from DHCP to Static IP – I know it’s just a text file somewhere – but what and where?
  • What is the recommended text editor? I’ve had a go with emacs, but it’s terribly arcane for a Windows user.
  • Where is the SAMBA config file?
  • Why doesn’t the XWindows work. I get “Starting the Gnome Display Manager (gdm)” just before the login prompt, then a box says “I cannot start the X server (your graphical interface).  It is likely that it is not set up correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?”.  If I say yes, the box is empty. It then asks me if I wanna run the X configuration program. If I say yes, it asks for the root pwd, then tries to restart the X server and goes round the loop again.

Any help much appreciated – but its only an experiment, so don’t bust a gut ;-)

Cheers,

Alasdair Cunningham-Smith.

Lynx friendly