Re: [LUG] centralised management tools

On Tuesday 21 October 2003 14:12, Bill Wilson wrote:
> To use multiple machines to manage eliminates a lot of the advantages of
> Linux.
>
> We use  thin client terminals then all you have to manage is servers.

We have PCs... we as in organisations that might contemplate a move from
Windows.

I feel a gap for a How-To, which I doubt I am going to write, but possibly
I know people who could.

A typical NT installation will lock down users desktops quite hard, the
account of the City of Largo setup demonstrates that that is also possible
with Linux, using thin clients there I recall.

Presently I have 4 machines on the network in the business, and I don't
have anything like the replication feature of NT going on them, OTOH I
don't feel a need for it, but if I had 400 machines I think I might.

Linux is easier to ghost one installation and then just change a password
and name and IP on each machine than is any NT-based suystem - the SID
that NT generates is not supposed to be changeable and the deatils of how
it is handled are supposed to be secret form users and administrators, so
that is perhaps an advantage in this area.

The multi-userness of *n?x should make it easier to contrive central
administrative setups and monitoring for up-to-dateness of patches.

Who has lots of machines on a network and a solution for administering
things on them on masse?

--
From the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/