Re: [LUG] Network Redhat 9

On Monday 27 Oct 2003 12:09 pm, richard.fuller1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> It may seem bizarre to some but this is the way I want to try to set
> up my network.....
>
> Win 98 SE has a wizard that sets up Internet Connection Sharing ( ICS)
> it says that it is no problem to set up with Linux (?)

ICS is unreliable and can drop connections for no apparent reason. Once this
happens, you need to reboot Windows (as you'd expect with any Windows resouce
leak). HOWEVER, because of the way that ICS works, you may then have to
restart the network daemon on Linux or the Linux box could be ignored by ICS.
Quite a faff.

> ICS requires the Host to be the computer connected to
> internet.....fine
> Host is the Gateway on 198.162.0.1..Clients are 198.162.0.2 etc.
> Windows uses a computer "name" to identify it on the Network with a
> workgroup..
> Now what do I call my Linux computer that wishes to share the internet
> connection ??.......Do I change the localhost.localdomain ?......Do I

localdomain = workgroup
Windows tends to capitalise the name, Linux uses lowercase - I don't think it
matters.

localhost name = unique name for that computer in that workgroup.

> give it a static address of 198.162.0.2

Yes.

So for workgroup codehelp: (Linux representation / contents of
c:\windows\hosts and /etc/hosts)
windows.codehelp 192.168.0.1
linux.codehelp    192.168.0.2

In Windows, 192.168.0.1 would appear in the GUI as:
workgroup CODEHELP
name WINDOWS
Static IP (in a completely different properties panel) 192.168.0.1

It's typical of Windows that it uses a different format/syntax for
c:\windows\hosts and the GUI.

--

Neil Williams