Re: [LUG] OT: spam

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 01:04:35AM +0200, Luke wrote:

> Tell you what this spam and virus trend is getting more frequent each
> week it seems.

Probably due to it being viruses which are doing a fair bit
of the spamming.

> Today at work eclipse pulled the plug after what they saw as a DOS of
> icmp packets were hurled at them by the business park where i work.
> Turns out some windows hosts were infected with welchia worm (the one
> that fixes the rpc vunerabilty). This little blighter flings pings all
> over the subnet on which it presently resides. When it finds a host who

Without always taking notice of subnet masks.

> has not been patched, it uses tftp to download the MS rpc patch.
> Bandwidth gets sucked up LAN comes to a standstill.

TFTP was intended for use on a LAN, over the Internet where
point to point links can easily wind up as bottlenecks.

> In the end the main sys ad pulled the plug on everything and went round
> with a rpc vunerabilty scanner looking for any culprits.

I have a less drastic approach, giving every XP laptop a # in front
of it's entry in /etc/dhcpd.conf.