Re: Don't buy Advent (was [LUG] Debian and X)

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 13:21, Simon Waters wrote:
> My ACER has been fine, apart from the annoying problem with the XFree86
> ATI driver which means I can't have accelerated graphics without the odd
> drawing gitch (bug with Xfree86 - ATI MACH64 issue, probably moved on to
> newer drivers by now), it is rock solid.

If that's the ATI problem with, for example, openGL screensaver locking
up the machine, then that has been solved. The fix will probably be in
the next release of XFree86 or you can use an option in the xfree86.conf
file (or whatever it is called - it's been a while since I looked at
this.) If you want details then let me know and I'll dig them out.

(I've run an ATI rage ultra at work and a rage 128 pro at home with
opengl screensavers with no lockups at all since including the (one
line!) patch.)

John.