Re: [LUG] /dev/fd0 problem

On Tuesday 09 Sep 2003 11:12 am, Grant Sewell wrote:
> I've got an old Acer 100Mhz job that seems to suffer a similar, or possibly
> the same problem.  Sometimes /dev/fd0 works, others it just plain refuses
> to do anything at all.  I've found that on the odd occasion when it refuses
> to work, using the complete devicename (/dev/fd0H1440, for example) works
> well.  Don't ask me what that's all about - as far as I am aware, /dev/fd0
> should be symlinked to your actual devicename, so it should work exactly
> the same.  However, in my case the above sometimes works.
>
> Just a thought.

I took a rather drastic solution - seeing as it was obviously something I'd
messed up in DevFS on mandrake and seeing as that install of mandrake was
originally a full KDE/Gnome one that I cropped back hard, I probably broke
something and, as you do, didn't realise until I needed the floppy. (Out of
sight, out of mind - that's the problem with a headless box).

Solution: Knoppix was OK, so I figured that as the system would boot from the
floppy drive, the drive was OK, so I put Debian on it. Fine!

Still learning!

--

Neil Williams