[LUG] /dev/fd0 problem

I added two NIC's to a working Mdk8.2 box (the headless box that I brought to
the Plymouth meeting). It's an old Pentium1 and doesn't get on well with
PCI/USB.
So, the cards wouldn't work. I tried ifconfig and netconf to no avail.
I thought about using Knoppix to simulate installing a new distro - in the
hope that it would detect the cards and illuminate my problem. BIOS offers
boot from CDROM but it refused - motherboard obviously ignores BIOS settings
on this one because the drive itself is not a problem. OK, mount the CD
anyway and read the README for info on boot floppies.

Problem:
dd if=./boot-en.img of=/dev/fd0
/dev/fd0 does not exist

Guh?

So now I had no Knoppix, no NIC's and no floppy. I figured out that the
problem with /dev/fd0 is that the I/O address appears to be in use.

$ dmesg | grep floppy
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
floppy0: Floppy io-port 0x03f7 in use
ide-floppy driver 0.97

How do I fix that??

$ mount /mnt/floppy
mount: /dev/fd0: unknown device

And yes, there is a floppy in the drive - it's the Knoppix boot floppy that it
booted from about 10minutes ago.

I had to get the one ISA NIC working, ftp the boot image to another machine
and create the boot floppy from there. The first floppy failed to boot with
more I/O errors but I eventually got it working with a second.

It all boiled down to an Advanced setting in the BIOS that was assigning IRQ's
ONLY to ISA cards. (Which is why I've had problems with PCI in the past,
Duh!)

(Why 3 NIC's? One for a fixed IP for home LAN use, one for DHCP to use if I
need to connect to a different network and have an IP,route etc assigned and
one because I had a card spare.)

--

Neil Williams