Re: [LUG] Exeter College - Course modules

On Monday 08 Sep 2003 12:05 pm, Brough, Tom wrote:
> Man was/is fantastic, sure we have the web now, but if your ISP fails you
> still have man (of course now I am going to start a man / info flame war
> ;-) ).

You only use man when your ISP fails? Typical broadband excesses!
Some of us still have limited internet access you know! We can't all surf 24/7
unmetered!
;-)

> The problem I think is giving people the right set of tools to be able to
> be confident that they understand when they go into RTFM mode. We should
> all encourage the "teach a man to fish" approach but somtimes we dont even
> know where the lake is, I think that the challenge that faces many
> educational establishments with regard to taking up linux. Of course what
> the "right set of tools" are is a matter for great debate. Perhaps the
> first point in any linux tuition should be "If you come here to be spoon
> fed think again !" but then it is depressing how many people still want to
> be taught by route.

That's why the don't understand hierachical structures, root access, security,
permissions and networking - because MS has always made such a pig out of
each one.

> Having said that perhaps teachers with a linux mindset are the only
> teachers who would start by giving each student a manual on how to build a
> desk and pointing to a pile of scrap wood and metal on the floor nearby
> :-).

Explains a lot about why putting a piece of flat-pack furniture together is
seen to be a sufficient challenge to be part of some gameshows.

Pupils/students are not identical automatons who can be educated in a
universal or comprehensive-style operation. Linux appeals to those who think
for themselves, people who want to delve and explore, fiddle about and
generally get under the surface. The pity is that so many people have had the
exploring instinct beaten out of them at school.

--

Neil Williams