[LUG] Dial-up using kppp

At the moment I am using the redhat-config-network to control my dial-up connection. I want to use kppp to keep track of the amount of time I spend online (too much IRCing recently). I tried running the kppp program from the Red Hat menu but it requires me to be root to connect. What can I do to allow normal users to activate the dial-up connection and monitor the time?

Here are the current permissions on the files:
$ whereis kppp
kppp: /usr/bin/kppp /usr/sbin/kppp
$ ls -l /usr/bin | grep 'kppp' lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Jul 27 23:09 kppp -> consolehelper
$ ls -l /usr/sbin | grep 'kppp' -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 547196 Feb 24 2003 kppp -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone else use kppp?
Do any of these files need permissions changed?
Are there any problems/security issues related with changing the permissions on these files?