Re: [LUG] Dial-up using kppp

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 20:16, Gemma Peter wrote:
> At the moment I am using the redhat-config-network to control my dial-up
> connection. I want to use kppp to keep track of the amount of time I
> spend online (too much IRCing recently).  I tried running the kppp
> program from the Red Hat menu but it requires me to be root to connect.
> What can I do to allow normal users to activate the dial-up connection
> and monitor the time?

Nit enitrely sure how to achieve that in KPPP, I think their is a file
squirreled away somewhere to allow normal users to connect using
KPPP, but for the life of me can't remember where it is.

If you are using the gnome Desktop rather than the KDE desktop
the gnome applet Modemlights does a similar task, along with providing a
nice little graph of your current throughput.

You can even set it up to show how much you have racked up in call
charges, if you are on a pay-as-you-go connection.

The disadvantage with Modem lights is that the timer restesz if you have
to reconnect, so if you have a 2 hour disconnect it will reset to 0 when
you reconnect after the cut off. Also, in Red Hat 8 at least, you have
to go into the configurationsection for Modemlights and put '/sbin/' in
front of the ifup and ifdown commands.

--
James
jamesk[at]homeric[dot]co[dot]uk

I spilled Spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone. (Steven Wright)