Re: [LUG] GPG keys

On Wednesday 13 Aug 2003 6:06 pm, James Keasley wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 09:52, Simon Waters wrote:
> >
> > gpg --referesh-keys
>
> Now why doesn't that command appear in the gpg man page, grr ;)

Umm, because Simon mis-spelt it !!!

gpg --refresh-keys
 --refresh-keys key IDs
                 Request  updates from a keyserver for keys that already exist
                 on the local keyring.  This is useful for updating a key with
                 the  latest  signatures,  user  IDs, etc.  Option --keyserver
                 must be used to give the name of this keyserver.

Some old versions of GnuPG didn't have the refresh option.

Note also that this will attempt to refresh ALL keys in the keyring unless you
specify the ID's to use. On a keyring like mine (or Simon's), it can actually
fail because it finds too many keys to refresh.

I will put a keyring file on the www.dclug.org.uk site for anyone to download
later tonight - linked from the GnuPG FAQ. I'll keep that copy updated with
new keys and new signatures. (It'll just be the output of gpg using data from
the database to retrieve a list of all current keyids.)

The keysigning part of the meeting actually resulted in the creation of a few
new keys and these will be added to the ring as and when the member adds the
keyid details to the Members Register or notifies me.

> > pgp.mit.edu is the only one I can ever remember :-(

pgp.uk.demon.net is the one I use at the DCLUG site for updates.

--

Neil Williams