Re: [LUG] August meeting in Plymouth - 12/8/3

On Friday 01 Aug 2003 10:42 am, Jon Lawrence wrote:
> Hi,
> I'll do my best to be there - so long as it's not a Saturday (can't do that
> due to cricket.

Looks like a Tuesday if favourite.
I think it's time I just make the decision for the 12th.

> I see no mention of an internet connection being available.

That was dependent on a few other arrangements that weren't complete at the
time of the first post. There will be an internet connection available via a
Uni box that can act as a gateway for a little LAN of our LUG machines.

> If possible (and acceptable to Uni etc) I'd could try and bounce my WLAN to
> there for use during the meeting - internet access would then be available
> via my ADSL. I can't guarentee that I can get everything in place by the
> dates but I can try.

A demonstration of WLAN is certainly worthwhile, so the talk is certainly
welcome. I'll create the meeting agenda on the website later and you can add
your talk via the members area.

> I'd be happy to give a talk about using linux based WLAN's (802.11b) and
> their implementation throughout the South West.

Thanks.

> > Probable venue - University of Plymouth.

That's certain now. The venue will be the Uni.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=247750&Y=55250&A=Y&Z=1
http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?X=248000&Y=55000&scale=5000&coordsys=gb
http://www.dclug.org.uk/linux_uk/plymunicampus.jpg

Topics: presentations, general chit-chat and keysignings PLUS problem-solving.

> > Involves something like the Linux Install Day at Exeter Uni. Lots
> > of people milling around various boxes, connecting and configuring,
> > testing new installations, correcting problems, installing on awkward
> > laptops that don't have CD drives, etc. Any PC you can bring, we'll try
> > and get it to run Linux. (And possibly a few Macs if people have them
> > hanging around too.) A fertile ground for new members to get to know
> > others, learn from those who've already made the mistakes and survived
> > and basically fiddle with Linux boxes. This option is best if at least a
> > half-day is available, depending on the number of members attending.
> >
> > Presentations would be centered around LAMP:

and now WLAN.

> > Linux (problem solving, installation, configuration, freedoms)
> > Apache (configuration, performance, capability, authentication)
> > MySQL (intro to SQL, uisng PHP and MySQL, intro to database design)
> > PHP (how to write PHP scripts, what PHP can do, graphics, databases, FTP,
> > file I/O, authentication etc.)
> >
> > I'll have a test installation of the DCLUG website as a demonstrator and
> > testbed. (eth connection, fixed IP, MySQL,PHP,Apache).
> >
> > I can also bring a headless Mdk8.2 system with eth card and 2 CD drives
> > to aid in doing a network install for any machines not fitted with CD
> > drives.
> >
> > Basic networking can be demonstrated too - there'll certainly be a small
> > LAN just containing our own machines, with a few hubs, some Cat5, power
> > extensions, DCHP for IP configuration, fixed IP for the LAMP
> > demonstration, basic local DNS too. It should just be a case of plugging
> > any Linux or even Windows machine into the LAN and starting the DCHP
> > client (may require a reboot or two on Windows, a simple command on
> > Linux!)
> >
> > Later I'll put the meeting onto the DCLUG website at:
> > http://www.dclug.org.uk/linux_uk/events.php
> > for further discussion.

I'll do that once the room itself is booked.

--

Neil Williams

http://slashdot.org/~codehelp