Re: [LUG] Wyse60 Emulation

On Thursday 31 July 2003 23:36, Mark Harvey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Re my earlier thread for terminal access to a remote system via modem.
>
> I have found that GTelnet supports the Wyse60 display emulation (not sure
> about the key mappings). Is there a way of getting GTelnet (which I think
> is only a pretty front for the telnet application) to talk to the modem? I
> have tried connecting to ttyS0 with no success.

No there isn't (at least, not directly).  Telnet is an internet protocol. When
you ask it to connect it'll do a gethostbyname() and try to connect to port
23 on the machine you asked for. Using the IP stack.

Now, if you have your network set up with a network dialer &c to run
connections over SLIP or PPP, then the connect() will result in a call to the
remote machine (This is how dial-up internet connections work).  Alas, that
won't get you too far unless the remote box is expecting a SLIP or PPP
connection on that modem port - all it's likely to have running on that port
is a getty(or its analogue) unless you've configured pppd and all that stuff.

$ apropos PPP

jd

--
John Daragon           argv[0] limited               john@xxxxxxxxxx
Lambs Lawn Cottage, Staple Fitzpaine, Taunton TA3 5SL, UK